Monday, February 23, 2015

Removing Glass

Things change rapidly and so has the world of Google Glass.  On January 19th they officially closed the Glass program.

I don't know how to feel about this.  I understand it's a program that was designed to crowd-source development of the product but do I need to feel let down that it's over.  Now I'm stuck with an out-dated no longer supported piece of tech.

I actually feel kind of inspired.  It's the first time I've taken part in something like this and I feel, in a small way, as though I've been part of the development team.  More importantly, I feel like I took a chance and gambled that I was going to be on the cutting edge and there would be value in what I had to say about the technology; especially in how it affects or can affect education.

Now that it's been passed along to another division of Google, or maybe it's a whole different company (maybe they read Passing Glass and were inspired), will there be a future for it or will Google move on to their other wearables (like the 360)?

Here's the next phase for NPSD Glass:  Tech in school.  Not just another laptop or chromebook or another something-we-already-have-and-now-is-faster tool, but cutting edge tech that has the ability to help learning.

I admit, I was drawn in with the cool factor, romanced by the potential and dumped by corporate but I'm not giving up.  I'm evolving to evaluate other types of technology and seeking the opportunity to weed out the bad and promote the good.

I started with TIES in Minneapolis when we presented our findings with Glass and it evolved into a presentation about technology in general, specifically wearable tech.

No comments:

Post a Comment