Wednesday, May 14, 2014

The Future of Glass

Been a while since I posted and, considering I'll be getting Glass back some time in the next week, I figured it was time to put down a few thoughts about where I'm heading in the future.

To start with, I want to thank both Josh and Ann for their work with me on the NPSD Glass project.  It's challenging and exciting to take a new piece of technology and evaluate it for its effectiveness in education.  On top of getting used to how it functions, they've had to evaluate their own classrooms and teaching and think about a use for the device.  I want to emphasize use for the device.  In education it's not just about how tech functions, but rather how it's functional.  Without the focus of "Are my students learning?" we're just putting more stuff in front of them and it becomes cumbersome.

For example, I loved my motorcycle and it was extremely fun and useful but it would serve no purpose in my classroom.  Josh, however, may find it extremely useful in Tech Ed.

So, the future:

  • Continue to connect with other educators around the country that are using Glass and communicate
  • Present our experiences at conferences (TIES)
  • Explore apps that will specifically connect with and apply to education
  • Connect with Google and try to establish a pilot program at Pines for Glass with kids
  • Find a trustworthy student to use Glass for a period of time and evaluate its usefulness in education

I've noticed more and more groups in education popping up that use Glass and are excited to share experiences and collaborate.  Specifically, through Google+, there's a strong group growing and meeting regularly about Glass through a hangout.  So far I have not attended one of these meetings, but I've also been without Glass for 6 weeks.

I'm once again excited to get Glass back.  Not the same excited as I was when I first got it, but excited that I can move to the next stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment