Thursday, June 19, 2014

Frosted Glass

It didn't work out for Harlan.

There's something about Glass that doesn't work for some people.  He had trouble getting it to focus and work correctly from him.  Makes me think about the Glass experiment and where it's going.  I'm trying to focus on how it works for both teachers and students.  Once it hits the market, there's going to be an influx of users that will be on both sides.

Increasingly, like all new technologies, I'm seeing news coverage about Glass and more and more of these reports are starting to move from WOW! to Really?  For example, The Daily Show has a  segment that highlights some of the more ridiculous sides of Google Glass.  While for entertainment, it does ring true in a lot of ways.  There's a perception that being a Glass Explorer (really rips into that idea) is an elitist, wealthy program in which socially awkward people can feel important.  I've heard this before.

Anyway, it gives me reason to pause and think about the natural evolution of technology.  I don't believe for a moment that Google is presenting Glass in more than just an "Explorer" program, it's a media stunt as well to create demand for the product.  In terms of technological evolution it's time for people to start really looking at the need and use of Glass.  I haven't seen a need for Glass but I am definitely looking for a use.  The longer I have it, the more I come back to the same thing: it's great to have a camera on my head.

It needs to be more.

This week and next I'm going to be reflecting on it from the viewpoint of the teacher.  I'm teaching training sessions for our LMS at Pines to MS and HS teachers.  I'm going to attempt to use it in this setting for something more productive than tweeting pics of them working.

Leave comments if you have suggestions for things you'd like to see me try.  Educationally, that is.


Through Glass while Ann talks about WikiProjects in Haiku.

No comments:

Post a Comment