Friday, June 20, 2014

Racing Glass

And they're off!

Today I came across some pretty thought provoking stuff.  I mean, I'm always thinking, but I've been frustrated and concerned that there really isn't anything more exciting about Glass than a camera on my head.  In all reality, that's awesome, but not awesome enough to make it even remotely worth the cost.

So I put on my thinking cap.  The more I see Glass and look at videos and pictures, the more I start to grasp what's happening in the Glass world and where Google's missing the boat.  Explorers are showing, through Glass, their lives; sharing excitement and Awwww! Moments.  They're also using some of the apps to do other things (some of the easy to get apps, others are fiddling with third party or developer apps), but mostly I'm finding the "look at me and my cool thing I'm doing and recording" examples.  Not enough.  GoPro users and enthusiasts are doing it bigger, better, faster and cheaper.

Then I picked up the iPad and went to YouYube.  My youngest had been searching for videos on how to be a spy.  I watched a couple and decided I would make a good spy, a little hard to conceal, but I've got the skills (and super-spy glasses).  As I often do, I started to click on some of the suggested videos until one popped up that was the best smart glasses of 2014.  

What?!  There's ONLY Google Glass!  

I watched the video.  This is exactly what I'm looking for and, more importantly, what Google so desperately needs to work towards.  True augmented reality.  The featured glasses (Glass was one) showcased exactly what I want.  

Go to YouTube and search for the best smart glasses of 2014 and see what you think.  Preliminary research shows as early as July and late as next year Google will be paced and quickly passed by the competition.  I need to call Apple and get them working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment