Saturday, June 14, 2014

New Glass

No, I didn't get another set of Glass, but I passed it along to someone new and, this time, someone who's life with technology is different than mine.  I've passed it along to someone who's life has been more involved with a lifestyle that's more in tune with what I believe Google intended Glass to be.  Harlan is a Social Studies teacher turned computer teacher and a tech coach as well.  Side by side we train staff and students and work to integrate technology into Pines.  More importantly for this experiment, Harlan lives with technology in a different way than I do.  I'm a digital immigrant.  I didn't grow up with technology the way he did.  His life integrates his phone in a much more all inclusive way and I believe some of the functionality of Glass, some of the understanding of how the features will enhance life will be explored more easily by him.

With the end of the school year madness just finishing I was unable to push the envelope and try some of the more experimental side.  It's still coming, but without classrooms full of students it's time to examine the consumer side if Glass.  Harlan will have it for a few weeks and then I'm turning it over to one of our students to get a truly unique perspective.  Some time in late July I'll get it back and pull out all the stops.

I'm excited to see where Harlan takes it and what he discovers as well.  The teacher in me is excited to see where he goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment