Wednesday, April 2, 2014

A Tall Glass O' Philosophy

I recovered nicely today and was able to get outside a little and enjoy the sunshine.  As the now dreaded weather reporters are telling us there is the potential for another 6-12" of snow in the forecast.  If there's such a thing as divine intervention, we'll get 70 degrees and rain.

There's a definite comment that continues to surface when people first understand what Glass is and that I actually have it.

"Bet you've walking into a number of walls!"

If I take this literally, it's suggesting I'm so distracted by what's happening that I cannot focus on something I've been doing quite well for somewhere in the neighborhood of 38 years.  And, since I can chew gum at the same time, I think I've mastered it.

If I take this figuratively, it's suggesting that I'm frustrated with the function of Glass and I'm ready to leave it behind or I cannot figure it out and need to call the help line.

There's an off-chance possibility I'm misinterpreting the comment and there are numerous complaints from the Wall (or Wahl depending on location) family regarding my stalking . . .

I assure you none of the above situations have happened.  It does, however, lead me to philosophize about the implications.  This internal discussion was fueled this evening by a report on NBC Nightly News regarding "cracking down" once again on texting and driving.  Without getting too politically philosophical about it, the gist of the story was that texting and driving is as bad as drunk driving and something needed to be done about it.  Up to and including a sort of texting field sobriety test.

The issue here is whether or not Google Glass or devices like Glass will be too much of a distraction to allow people to be safe.  I support the no-text rules.  I don't text and drive.  I understand the allure of it and the desire people have to automatically pick up the phone and push buttons.  It seems as though the issue becomes less of an issue of the physical typing and more of the engagement of the mind.

Can this distraction be transmitted to the classroom?  Will devices like Glass only lead to one more avenue by which students (and staff) can become distracted?  Should we balk at this and ban wearable technology to help students focus?

Pretty big questions.  Luckily we've been asking these questions since computers first arrived at schools.  Especially in 1:1 environments we have to constantly evaluate whether or not learning is taking place and at what level.  Considering that "games" have been deemed a bad distraction (I disagree) in most instances and Glass really doesn't have many games; at least discreet ones.  When I play Clay Shooter or Tennis it's hard not to laugh as I wobble around trying to line the target or ball up with my sites . . . let me correct my original statement.  I have run into a wall before; playing tennis.

Back to the questions.  I don't have a definitive answer.  Part of this study, especially since we're on the edge of a change of the guard with my Glass, will determine how much of a distraction this wonderful little device will be and whether or not that distraction is worth the educational gains.  Round One is as an instructional device and Round Two will need to be as a learning tool.  I'm going to need to recruit a couple of students to test this out but I'm going to have to check on age requirements before I do.  Currently Google only allows those 18 or older to participate in the explorer program.

Tomorrow may or may not be a primary post from me.  Ann Perry, science teacher, friend and respected colleague will be taking over as soon as tomorrow and as late as Monday.  I will, of course, continue to post in the form of comments on her entries.  I may make an additional page that's more of a discussion open to anyone who cares to participate if I can figure out how to pull it off.

As far as the classroom distraction, five or so years ago I was told very specifically that it was impossible for students to listen to music and do anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment