Monday, April 14, 2014

Jagged Glass

No, I didn't break the Google Glass (thank goodness)! But, my thoughts are kind of random and jagged and I found myself using Google Glass on and off throughout the weekend, hence the name. Also, my success at implementing some of the features was also hit or miss...

Friday:
Lefties (eyes that is...)
So Friday was the first day I wore glass for an entire day. I was still getting plenty of questions and spent time allowing others to try glass for themselves. One question a student posed was if Google would ever have a left-eye version of Glass. He (and I) are both left eye dominant for shooting sports and the like and it didn't dawn on me until his question that this may be one reason why I felt (feel) eye-strain when wearing Glass. It's gotten better as I wear Glass longer, but when I first put on Glass in the morning, it still takes awhile before my eyes feel comfortable. Some days I can only take 3-4 hours at the most. Currently, it doesn't appear (at least in Explorer phase) that Google plans on a left version, and so some are taking issues into their own hands, wearing Glass upside down.

Demo for Dissection
So I teach anatomy, but most of the dissections in my class are finished. In a neighboring biology classroom however, students are just starting dissections dealing with advanced invertebrates. I discussed using Glass with two students in the midst of a clam dissection and they described their experience and knowledge of clam anatomy. I see a number of potential uses for Glass in this manner.


  • Teacher with glass has students explain (as the video shows) - the teacher now has a formative assessment of how the class is progressing. Additionally, the teacher has caught snapshot videos that can be viewed later - this is different than what I do right now. Currently, I have to try and remember what each group struggled with or what their strengths were off the top of my head, with video I can refer back at any time and I know that I can take "regular" video with a phone or iPad, but Glass is much more seamless. 
  • Teacher could run through dissection while recording to give students a point of view demonstration of the technique - the hands free application is better than anything I've tried so far in trying to share this with a full class. 
    • Screencasting this for students to watch would help for students to see during a class.
    • In a flipped classroom, the video could be posted ahead of time for students to preview. 
  • Students could video their own dissection and then use it for review. (I'm going to try and have these young ladies work this out at least once in the next week.)
  • Any video could be posted and shared with students absent for the dissection day, even though there is no replacement for the true lab experience, its a great substitute. 

Brainstorming
My Anatomy classes were working on an activity that helps them differentiate between excretion and elimination (aren't you wishing I was a social studies teacher right now?) and after lots of discussion and debate. We came up with our delineation and a lot of brainstorming on the whiteboard. I've been known in the past to remind students that a great way to remember the conversation is to snap a picture of our "notes" for future reference. Many times, I'll take a picture and post it in our CMS for students to go back to. Well, with Glass I simply told Glass to take a picture and then shared it directly in Google+ with my Anatomy class circle. Pretty cool!

Dance Pictures - Facebook Fail (temporarily!)
After school on Friday my two daughters had pictures for their upcoming dance recital. I wore Glass and took some candids and attempted to post them directly to Facebook (which I do have activated in Glassware). My phone doesn't act as a hotspot and so I had some difficulty posting directly to Facebook Friday without a network, but today when I tested it at home, there was no problem taking a photo from the card stack and sharing it as well as taking a "fresh" photo and posting that directly to Facebook as well. I really liked the ease of captioning a photo/video with voice commands only.

Saturday
Law enforcement conversation
My husband works for the WI DNR as a law enforcement officer and he and I had a long discussion about the potential for Glass in his field. As long as the durability of Glass was increased, he had some ideas, here's a brief rundown...

  • videotaping contacts with the public (think dashcam)
  • crime scene recording for later assessment
  • recording interviews with suspects/witnesses
  • search databases hands-free on the spot (would need secure wifi/glassware)
  • training
    • record training scenarios from contact officer perspective
    • assure consistency during scenario training/testing from one contact officer to the next; this could also save time in training (not having to run each officer through every scenario)
    • allows officers in training a chance to reflect on their performance in varying situations

Sunday
No Glass!

Monday
Screen Cast Fail (until next time)
As I was setting up for class today, one thing I wanted to try was to screencast my view in Glass with the entire class (using AirPlay to broadcast to the "big screen" in my room). I was trying to show something very small (capillary action in a microcapillary tube) to the entire class and screencast would have been helpful. As it was, I found the directions to screencasting (1. Bluetooth to phone and use hotspot or 2. Make sure both devices are on same network). But that was it - no further direction. Now I know that I need to think intuitively, but faced with a class full of students waiting for me to get rolling, I didn't have time to think on my feet. Sitting tonight, it dawned on me that I should have simply started a recording with Glass and then the screencast would "start" on its own. Aha! Tested and working - can't wait to use it tomorrow when I demonstrate setting up chromatography tests with the students tomorrow~

No comments:

Post a Comment