Thursday, April 10, 2014

Star Trekking

Well I'll have to start by saying that I'm no where near as witty when it comes to glass puns and references, so the titles of the daily blogs are less likely to entertain (I think Passing Glass was my favorite, but maybe because it meant that I got my hands on Glass!)

A little background - I'm a life science teacher at the high school level and I currently teach Anatomy and Forensic Science Classes. You may end up seeing posts from around my department as we play with and attempt to integrate Glass into our instruction. As for me personally, I look at the post Dave made with me sitting at my desk wearing Glass and I was instantly reminded of Geordi from Star Trek. I found an interesting site comparing Star Trek tech with current technology (wireless ear pieces for communication, body scanning devices, etc.) and it made me think about how I plan on using Glass in class.

Honestly, I've been spending the past three days trying to figure it out - set up isn't hard but getting used to using it has taken me a bit longer - and I haven't had any breakthrough ideas. I been contemplating live screen casting when I'm describing and performing a lab technique to give students the correct perspective.  Perhaps I could document some of my classroom activities on video as I'm working on my National Boards certification - but seriously, if I record and walk around the classroom the resulting video could make people seasick.

So I'm nearing the end of my first week and find myself without much to report! Like Dave's first week, much of what I've done is handed off glass to the students and watched them take pictures and wonder all of what it can do.


No comments:

Post a Comment