Friday, April 11, 2014

In a Glass House

You shouldn't throw stones.

Not literally, at least, but today I read an article (Huffington Post) and had a conversation with another educator that was looking at a different side of the technology.  The article was written by a Junior in high school who was complaining about the iPad 1:1 she was dealing with in high school.  To sum it up she felt as though too much technology was being forced on students; it would be more appropriate to not require the use of it.

The conversation I had questioned the validity of limiting students to one tool (Word or Google Docs) without getting them prepared for the "real" world.  It was a good conversation and, like most, I walked away with more to think about which leads me to this forum to share it with you.

Google Glass.  This represents a new technology, a wearable, accessible technology.  As the girl from high school indicated, are we jumping on board with the newest fad or are we actually providing something worthwhile for our children's education.  Many of the conversations I have with students connects with the "neat" and "cool" factors.  I think I'm going to have to get it into their hands and let them try it in school to see if they get the same feeling that it's too much.

Moving forward I'm curious to see how Ann's students react to the integration of Glass in the class (we talked briefly today about it) and what creative ideas they come up with.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the Huffington article.  Was it written by a student who wants to be removed from responsibility that accompanies a 1:1 environment or is she earnestly tired of being connected and in need of a break.

My gut reaction is to question the use of the tool.  Is it furthering her learning or just keeping her busier?

No comments:

Post a Comment