Sunday, April 13, 2014

Safety Glass

I've posted before about privacy and concerns associated with Glass and I think, in the education community, we need to be respectful of privacy issues and up-front when we take pictures.  Here's what got me thinking about it:

I was reading a post on the Google Glass in education community on Google+ about a man who had Glass knocked from his face and then stepped on to let him know his ability to take pictures was unwelcome.  It was a short post and I don't know all the details (he may have had it coming) but the post made my ears perk up.  I continued to read the comments and responses to the post and was extremely surprised at the number of people who commented about reactions they're having to Glass.

For the most part, people posted that they were up front about taking pictures and it was well recieved as long as the pictures didn't include the person.  Kind of like "take a pic of my stuff but leave me out of it."  The responses (more than one) continued to indicate that taking a pic with Glass was forbidden, but pull out your phone and take as many as you like.  It seems like the understanding that it's the same thing is lost.

As I reflect on this I really only have two comments:  

I have never come across a single person who is angry about Glass or anything other than interested.  I've had a few with concerned questions and one with a request to not take a picture (I think it was in jest, but I respeced it nonetheless).

People need to understand the technology and the role it does or can play in our lives.  I appreciate the opportunuty to be a Glass Explorer.  Not because it's some elite group, but because I have the opportunity to share and educate people about it.

As this moves into mainstream use and students start showing up with any type of wearable tech we need to be prepared to share with them the safety, responsibility and potential of the tech.  Through education of the public as well as the children we'll avoid a potentially eruptive response and learn to accept and embrace the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment