Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Doing Things Half Glassed!

Wish I could have used the title "Kickin' Glass and Takin' Names" for this post but I think that implies that Glass has been glued to my head and at the forefront of most of my work recently. And it hasn't  - hence my feeling like I'm doing it half-glassed. Also, I said in my first post that I couldn't think of great "Glass" puns and titles - yeah, still can't. I can't even take credit for either post title here, they're the work of my husband who I'm sure could rant out another 10 or so if I gave him half a chance. Oh well - onward...

So as I posted last time, I was really excited to use Glass to screencast from my point of view. My classroom is equipped with a projector and AppleTV. I had everything up and running first thing last Tuesday morning and lo and behold, the screen cast played sideways (half-glassed)! I believe this has to do with the fact that I'm using an iPhone with Glass and the phone doesn't AirPlay but my iPad does and it only has an iPhone app which makes it play sideways as it won't orient correctly. For that class, I ended up taking off Glass, holding the frame sideways so the video was upright and went through my demo. All said and done, I simply used the iPad camera to AirPlay to the screen for the remainder of my classes that day - much simpler. I still feel that the live screencast would be much more valuable when you need to be 100% hands free and have the correct perspective/point of view. I've been chatting with another biology teacher and I'm going to go into her class tomorrow - get ready for some earthworm dissection! I plan on trying out some of the ideas mentioned in my last post from both the teacher and student perspective.

The rest of last week was pretty much a bust for me and Glass. Wednesday was an out of town funeral and then I came home Wednesday night to 6 inches of snow and magically overnight that 6 inches turned into about 15.

No school Thursday - snow day - April 17th. No school Friday - Good Friday. That week was half glassed.

Over the weekend I did share Glass with my mother (former teacher) and some other relatives, relations and friends. I found an interesting trend. The over 60 year old group kept mentioning big brother and how they "just don't like the idea of it" i.e. that they could be videotaped/under surveillance without their knowledge. The under 45 year old group was for the most part amazed and excited to try it on and check it out. The only nay-sayer in the younger group was my cousin's wife and I think it had more to do with her not wanting him to have any more gadgets as he proclaimed that Glass was all he wanted for his birthday (which was yesterday - and no, he didn't get Glass). I didn't have enough guts to wear Glass at the local drinking establishment one evening over the weekend either - more half glassed attitude from me.

And so here we are, halfway through the last week that I'll have Glass and I'm not sure that I've accomplished anything revolutionary - not that I have to, but I did feel at one point that I would have some epiphany and everything would clarify and roll right out. Don't get me wrong, there have been some great moments, snapshots if you will, but still I have a feeling that I've just done it half glassed.

No comments:

Post a Comment