Friday, March 7, 2014

Bold Bystanders

Day 2 for a full day.  Still trying to figure out how I'm going to use this for activities outside school.  I looked at the video I shot yesterday working on a lesson with third grade and was able to reflect on my own teaching style and methods . . . In between nausea and vertigo.  I'm a big man.  Tall (and wider than I should be) with apretty significant case of HD (I can focus just fine, so the AD gets left behind).  With Glass on my head the room was pretty much spinning unless I was sitting still.  Point of reference: be aware it's recording when wearing glass, especially if you plan to share the video.  Still, great reference video.  My wife told me I was engaging and moving around amd attentive to the kids.  Good for teaching, not so much for watching.  I understand what my prof. meant thirteen years ago when she observed me: "I think your movement in class is good, but you make me dizzy."  I shared it with three others.  Sorry.  You can buy motion sickness pills at the drug store.

So, i do a lot of work with video and was pleasantly surprised that i could import directly into Final Cut on my Mac.  Good to know when creating videos; especially for kids that will use it for projects.

Great dicussion today att he HS with principal and Dean about students using it.  I know you have to be 18 to get one as an explorer, but what plan is there for when it goes public?  Kids are all over this thing and love to try it on.  This could be the end of the "selfie" and the beginning of the "friendie."  Even if it stays as a 18 and over requirement, who's to say parents won't buy it for kids?  My own two already have plans for it.

This weekend marks the first time i will have it and use it recreationally.  I'm curious to see how I like it since I take maybe 10 pics a year as it us.  For vacations amd outdoor activities it's going to be great.  With 4 feet of snow on the ground and walleye and northern fishing closed i'm a little limited.  Maybe snowshoeing and cross country skiing is in order.  I may even venture out on the four wheeler and see what happens.

To the point of the title:  Kids (and adults) are now at the point where they're ready to come up and ask me about it.  My standard response is "it's too early to tell" whether I like it.  I'm taking a scientific approach to the device.  The best thing right now, as an Explorer, is the possibilities it holds.  I will continue to question all of it, especially price comparisons to things that do the same function in a different way.  Although, I discovered the games app and look ridiculous trying to hit a tennis ball or clay pigeon with my head.

Sorry it's out of order, I went back and edited and re-publishes sans typos.  No more.

No comments:

Post a Comment