Monday, March 10, 2014

Sunny Days

In many ways I've become somewhat of a circus attraction at school.  I can now lump the students into a couple of different categories:

  • Tech Groupies - They definitely are infatuated with the idea of what Google Glass will bring them and I'm sure often imagine having it and using it for all of the wonderful things it will bring.
  • Admirers - They think it's neat, mostly for me.  They ask about the great things I'm doing and are genuinely interested in how I use it and sometimes amazed at what it can do.  Many "cool" responses when I tell them or let them try it on.
  • Questioners - they want to know what it costs and can't get over the price.  Even as an "evaluation tool" I sometimes feel like they're tallying up the cost as compared to what else that money could be used for.  I sometimes fall into this role myself.
Today I figured out a couple of different apps.  Well, I think I figured out one of them, the other I have some thoughts about.
  • Google Play - I've wanted to play music with Glass, but I'm an Apple fanboy and have everything wrapped up in an i - something (iPod, iPhone, iMac, iPad), so understandably I'm hesitant to shift to the "other guy" for my music needs.  It works well and accommodatingly transferred the music in iTunes on my Mac to Google Play.  I signed up without any problem and don't think I'm paying for a service.  For the second half of today I enjoyed music played softly through glass as I walked around.  When removed and turned upside down, glass automatically pauses.
  • Strava Cycling - Tracks biking.  I used it for a 6 mile bike ride after school and it timed me but didn't calculate the distance.
Thoughts on education:  Teachers using Glass to prepare lessons and work on flipping their classes may genuinely benefit from using Glass to video tape.  As new apps come out there may be more appropriate and useful reasons to have it.  Communication-wise, Glass is phenomenal.  Practicality-wise I'm not so sure yet.

After school I enjoyed a couple of spring activities:


  Biking on my mountain bike along the side of sloppy, icy roads.  Thankfully I installed fenders (cool, tough mountain bike ones, not Pewee Herman ones) so I was minimally wet.

Biking made me feel like I was a kid again back in the 80's . . .




So did pinch rolling my pants.








Since I couldn't tell how far I went, I took a ride in Kermit with half the top off.  I love a convertible!  Unfortunately, I hit a puddle that sent water up over the top of the windshield.




















Oh, an I figure out how to do a cool viginette with Glass.  What a great warm day!


No comments:

Post a Comment