Thursday, March 13, 2014

Lego my Glass

I'm on the iPad again, so pardon the typos in advance.  (edits have been done since this posting)

Today Glass went to LOL again and spent a day with me in a meeting.  I took part on one of the coolest trainings I've been to in a while: Lego training.  Lego robotics to be exact.  Very cool.




So, before training started, one of the SOAR students from yesterday got excited and asked if they were going to get to use Glass again.

Throughout the day I had a good conversation about it with parent/charter board member, was able to think out loud about how I used it and then it disappeared for a while as SOAR student took it to linch. When he returned I was able to talk to him and show him some of the features beyond video.

I also took a couple of extra minutes to show Glass to a parent at dance class.

If you're reading it tonight, I'll post pics and vids from training tomorrow.

Lego Robot going through the course


I'd like to take a moment to reflect on a comment I hear from adults:  What a neat toy!

Spending the day going through training with what many would consider toys, I have to challenge the idea that Glass is another toy.  I love toys.  I love the memories I have of them when I was a child, love playing with toys with my children even today and I understand that they're sometimes a distraction.  As I learned in Lego training, there's much more to "toys" than just a frivolous waste of time.  They're are genuine learning activities; goals and objectives.

Not always, sometimes they can be a distraction.  As far as Glass goes, it's cool and neat and interesting, but if anything, it's work.  The kind of connectivity Glass provides keeps me working.  Unless I take it off and walk away from it, that constant connection to my job never turns off.  Pavlov would have loved to observe me, when it dings, I check a message or email.  When I see something I want to share for work I take a picture or a video.  When I have a question I IM or hangout with someone.

There are things I use if for recreationally, like the weekend pics from biking and skiing, but these aren't things I would normally record.

I can say one thing for sure, each day that goes by with Glass, I'm finding more and more ways that it integrates several forms of computing into my life.  As far as education, the possibilities outweigh the reality right now and I'm excited to continue to experiment and explore and see what others can teach me about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment