Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Hello, Glass!

Started off this morning with an email that Glass shipped.  Set up text messaging alerts to follow it to me.  This was at 5:00am.  The package left Kentucky.  I received it by 11:00.  Kudos for promptness.

I was excited, but nowhere near as excited as the science class I walked into.  My plans for opening it in the seclusion of my office and taping the reveal privately were soon forgotten as the excited, eager and engaged class leaned in, carried by the exuberance of the teacher.   Pics and video to watch tomorrow.  Fifteen minutes later I made it to my office (stopped by another science room to geek out some more) and sat down to figure it out.

 


I'm not a direction reader.  Ever.  This fits perfect with Glass because there aren't really any instructions.  I couldn't help but feel like the product was from Apple.  White box, simple layout and gobs of personality.  If you're going to take a page out of a book, might as well have style.  Soon after, the frustration set in.  The glasses were dead.

I got my first taste of the experience that was unique to glass, a heads up display showing an empty battery.  No instructions to tell me I should charge it for X number of hours first; I never follow that one with a new toy.  I plugged it in with the included charger and it seemed charge.  At least the battery showed itself filling up repeatedly.  I pushed the power button, nothing but the flashie battery. I went to do other work. An hour later Glass still told me the battery was empty.  Grrrr. I was ready to ship it back.

Anyway, it started working when I plugged the USB into the Mac (always magic there).  I set it up and off I went.

At the end of the day I showed it off, even the Blah people from the day before were curious and learned something.  It's cool. Not fall over cool but interesting cool.  The brain started clicking, I worked at a community iPad training and took Glass off during it.  Too early to be useful there, wrong crowd to show it off to.

I have 30 days ro return glass for a refund.  I was ready to box it up today after using ur for a while. Mostly because it seems to rely heavily on cell data to be useful.  I'll give it two fair weeks and then decide. I found a site with lots of apps for glass that address some of my concerns. Time to explore.

I also got a phone message from Google to chat with a glass guy and do a Hangout.  Good plan for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment