Sunday, March 16, 2014

Rest and Reflection

I woke up this morning thinking that there would be nothing I was doing today that was worth writing about.

Not true as it turns out.  I did put in a day of rest, spending most of the time camped out on the floor in the living room watching Netflix.  I guess maybe it's that time of year or maybe my mind and body was just begging for a reset.

I don't sit still very well, so I still built a robot. (@NPSDtech on twitter for a pic)  I must have eaten at some point since there were crumbs on my shirt.  The rest of my family was away so I could watch whatever I wanted without interruption (we only have one TV, no cable or satellite and 3 channels).  Winding down for me generally plays out this way.

I still had plenty of time to reflect and that reflection turned in the direction of Glass.  I started this journey as an Explorer looking to evaluate Glass for education and I've done that just about every day since it arrived.  Today was no different.  I'm looking to the next phase and trying to decide where that should go.  First, I needed to evaluate where I'm at and what I've done.

Introduce Glass - Done. I've been in every school in the district with it and presented it to anyone who asks.  I've been very specific about letting them come to me rather than have teachers and students think I'm forcing it on them or bragging about it.  Seems good so far.

Play with Glass - In progress.  I've figured out much of what I want to use it for, some is working well, others need some more time.  I've mastered the camera, video, music, games and internet searches.  I still have other components I need to work on (see below).

Incorporate Glass - I don't even notice it's there any more.

Now my list of upcoming agenda items:

Instruction - I want teachers to try it and provide feedback.  There's a bit of a learning curve and to accurately do this I need to let them have it for several days.  This is where coaching's going to come into play.  I need to create some kind of application (maybe there's a better word, but I'm going with this).  Teachers who would like to try it out for instruction need to show me there's more to it than the "neat" factor.  I'm thinking a conference where we can talk about it, Q&A and brainstorming.

Professional Development - We've kicked it around in our discussions about using Glass for PD.  As a reflection tool, being able to go back and look at it is enlightening (sometimes nauseating) and beneficial.  If this would be an acceptable way to submit video for National Board or similar it would be valuable.

I'm sure there's more and I'll continue to seek them out.

On a side note, I had a very nice conversation with three community members at the grocery store earlier this evening about Glass.  They were interested, excited and responsive to my explanation.

No comments:

Post a Comment