Friday, March 21, 2014

Glass, Uninterrupted

Today was a busy day.  Being home sick on Thursday made much of the daily routine I have pile up for an extra day.  There was time, however, to experience Glass and reflect on it in a whole different way.

First, the normal stuff.  I was in the auditorium for the dress rehearsal for the spring concert.  Being the husband of an elementary music teacher I have the opportunity to fill in when I'm needed.  I got a good lesson and a couple of good pics from up in the booth looking down at the stage.  I found a limit for Glass that is common in most cameras; low light plus bright stage equals poor image.  Overall so far I've been very impressed with the picture quality, I guess I'm getting used to it being a natural reflection of what I'm seeing so I was surprised it didn't turn out.  Kudos to the human eye, its abilities are difficult to replicate.

I also had time to reflect on technology in a different than normal sense.  On occasion I consult in the district for different technological needs.  A situation occurs and I'm asked for my opinion on the best and least intrusive technology to ensure the continuity of education for students that are otherwise unable to keep a consistent schedule.  I had one of these opportunities today and, as I talked with all parties involved in the situation I couldn't help but think about the usefulness of Glass in certain situations.

Right now, the easy go-to thought is for someone who doesn't have use of his or her hands.  Glass isn't ready for that; there's a touch pad on the right side that requires attention.  Many things can be done without it, but not everything.

So I thought about what Glass really is about.  I've compared it to a camera, computer and cell phone.  I've commented that I don't want to replace any of those thing and thought about what it actually does.  So I did a little research and came across a posting on the Explorer Community site that put it into perspective for me.  Glass isn't supposed to be a distraction, it's supposed to free us from distraction.

I know what you're thinking "Yeah, right.  A computer on your head with a display isn't a distraction?" This posting I read really did put it plainly.  I hear complaints all the time that people (it's not just kids you phone addicts!) are spending more and more time on their devices.  I'm a perfect Pavlovian proof.  My phone dings, vibrates or rings and I'm conditioned to pull it out and look at it.  I can't help myself.

Google Glass is supposed to free us from that by connecting us in a more natural way.  Still not convinced?  I spend very little time on my phone any more.  Good example:  I was in the HS office looking to talk with the principal.  My phone rang and I was able, on voice command, to answer, have a phone call (Mom asking about the spring concert) and continue my search without a phone stuck on my ear or with me fumbling with my nearly indestructible case.

How can this affect education?  Seamless integration of the information stream.  Students can remain engaged with the world while accessing information.  There's a worry that the HUD will get in the way, but it doesn't.  It really doesn't.  It's a little weird at first, but once you get used to ignoring that it's there, it allows you so much access to many of the things we already do without reaching for the phone.  Or computer.  Or tablet.

I've definitely changed my focus a little and will now look to examine this little device as a life-enhancer rather than a distraction.

2 comments:

  1. How is it wearing your contacts daily vs your glasses? Is there a way to still be able to wear your glasses and be able to use Google glass for those who contacts are not an option?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wore contacts for so long before that moving back to them wasn't a big deal. You can purchase Glass with frames that can be used to install a prescription lens. I decided against it because it was an additional $300 plus paying for the lenses. A box of contacts is $30.

    ReplyDelete