Friday, March 14, 2014

Glass has Class

Finally it's Friday!

This is the end to my first full week with Glass.  It's becoming a part of my routine now.  Interest is starting to grow at the high school with students giving up a passing glance, moving beyond a longer stare and becoming bold enough to ask about it.  I'm enjoying every opportunity to stop, share and explain what it does and how it works.  Many are very excited to put it on and see the HUD for the first time.

I talked with an English teacher this morning at my roundtable tech talk.  Some of the conversation was about Glass, but mostly it was about integrating technology to best service his students.  One student in particular was unable to be in class so the teacher wanted to do a Google Hangout and allow the student to be a part of the class from a remote location.  The future of education is here!

I smiled as I watched how easily the student became part of the class through his computer.


The picture shows a computer on the teacher desk with a direct feed to the student.  The teacher did a great job including him in the discussion and the students were involved as well.  What the picture doesn't show is all the ways technology played a role in making this discussion possible.  Without hesitation, students in the class used cell phones, Chromebooks and a laptop to connect and organize a connection with the student.  Using Google Hangouts for video and text they established the connection and arranged the meeting.  This is what technology can enable.




I used Glass to record what was happening for a couple of reasons.  First, I was asked by the teacher to help him record the class so he could use it to reflect on his own teaching practice.  I also recorded the entire class on a Sony Handycam on a tripod and delivered the video immediately after the class was over.  Second, I used it to emphasize that a highly qualified teacher was able to provide continuity in every child's education through the use of technology.  I don't want to take anything away from the inclusion of online learning, but the ability to participate in an authentic discussion is extremely valuable.

This lesson was reinforced with discussion elements and assignments provided in Haiku, our Learning Management System we use.

I learned from my first recording of a class and I was careful to move slowly and steadily to provide a better quality recording from glass.

Kudos to the teacher for excellent use of technology and to the class for including everyone in the discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment