Monday, March 17, 2014

Passing Glass

This morning started out with weekly roundtable meeting in the staff development room.  No one showed for help so I spent time getting myself ready for the WISN conference and working on the presentation.  I had Glass sitting on the table next to my computer while I worked and started to think about the next step.

Shortly after returning to my office I contacted one of our science teachers about being my lab rat for an initial hand-off and trial in her classroom.  We met and discussed the proposal and she happily agreed.  Two weeks from now I'll reset Glass to factory default and let her use it for two weeks.  We figured that this will give her enough time to plan some lessons, we'll meet again so I can get an idea of how she's going to use it and then I'll direct you to her blog as well as keep posting (maybe not daily) on my blog.  I'd like, during that time, to also interview some of her students and see how they're reacting to it.

I finally captured a 10 second video of typical student reaction to my explanation of Glass.


As you can see in the video there's a mixture of excitement and stunned looks as they try to wrap their heads around the concept.  Anyone at the table who wanted to was welcome to try it on.  For some it worked right away and for others Glass didn't cooperate.  Maybe Google has used a little AI and given it a personality and preference.  Doubtful, but people already have a hard time believing I didn't take it straight from Star Trek.

My day was cut short as I took my youngest to the doctor for her cast.  Had a brief but informative discussion with the doctor and medical assistant about Glass.  His biggest concern was privacy and what Glass would mean in school and, I'm guessing, in his profession as well.  I asked for permission and took some pictures of him at work.




It was snowing.  I didn't take a picture because I'm tired of winter and have 3 feet of snow still in my yard I can look at if I miss it.  I did take the time to stop for a little long-awaited maintenance.


It brings me back to one of my original thoughts about Glass in education.  There are a lot of demonstrations teachers can record first-person point of view and share with students.  Once again, though, it's using the camera and microphone.

In the doctor's office (2.5 hours waiting for a 15 min appointment) I figured out using the screencast feature on Glass.  I guess I was expecting it to show what I see and was surprised that it only showed what was visible on my viewfinder.  It figures when I think about it, but to utilize it in the classroom it's going to have to be done while video recording.  Interesting to see how this works out since it's battery will only last 45 min or so recording video.  Time will tell.



No comments:

Post a Comment