Saturday, March 29, 2014

Walking in Broken Glass

It's Spring Break.  We escaped from Northern Wisconsin and found a retreat at the in-law's house.  I went for a walk with the dog this morning and was treated to a mostly snowless - definitely flooded area off the bike trail.


I was treated to a plethora of waterfowl, Bailey was teased by a variety of doves hiding in the long grass and I found impressions of gigantic turkey tracks in the soft clay of the trail.  Good morning walk.  While I walked I thought about Glass as a crowd-sourcing tool.  Students wandering about collecting data and experiences and funneling them back to a central collection site.  As an ornithologist's companion, I would expect it to have a focus.  I'll stick to a DSLR or something definitely designed to take a better picture.

After breakfast I couldn't resist doing a little research for the trap club.  OK, so it's for Rachel, but if the trap team could use this and record the 10 seconds or so after "pull" it would be a great way to review their shooting.  BTW, the over-under you see here fits me well, Rachel prefers the side-by coach gun we looked at.  Good, it's cheaper.


Lastly, our "date" finished up with a stop at Wildside bike, ski and climbing store in Baraboo.  The gentleman you see in the picture is Jeff Vogtschaller from UW Madison.  He works at the store one day a week.


What a great conversation we all had about Glass and I was thrilled to see the gears turning and the ideas he came up with for himself and students.  Specifically, instruction about climbing (4H) to share with students.  Rachel and I agreed that it's exciting and exhilarating to speak on an intellectual level about it.  Lots of ideas and connections with Jeff.

Pretty much from 4:30 until 9:30 PM I've been asleep.  Somewhere along the way in the past week I've picked up a bug and it's put me down for the count.  I'm resurfacing just long enough to catch the second half of the Wisconsin game.  41-41 right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment