Thursday, March 20, 2014

Glass is Half Full

More time to think about Glass.

I've spent time today on the Explorer's community looking at the posts from other explorers and thinking about the Glass hardware.  When I first got it I handled it with kid gloves.  Looking at this thin, fragile device in my monstrous hands I wondered how long my investment would last.  I've worn glasses off and on for nearly 30 years and I've broken my fair share.

I'm happy to say it's been very durable.  I'm a sharing kind of person, so there have been countless children (down to Kindergarten) who have experienced my Glass.  Sometimes they walk around with it and other times they just take a quick picture, return it and then they're off again.  My only trouble so far has been that I've lost the earbud and the bone conduction speaker in the headset gets distorted.

I have a few suggestions I'll share with Google as I continue with this trial.  First, Sport Glass.  Maybe a more flexible frame and waterproof (or at least resistant) computer.  I look at my phone and I'm using an OtterBox Armor case.  Shock proof, water proof and, unfortunately, mostly soundproof.  I bought it because I'm that guy that drops his phone, uses it in the boat and gets it wet (sometimes submerged) and is generally hard on equipment.  It isn't because I don't value it, but I use it.

If Glass is going to have a place in education, an I believe inevitably it will, then the device itself is going to need to be flexible.  Maybe Google plans to let the after-market commercial companies worry about this, but I think about it.

I posted a question on the Explorer forum about contacting Google with a proposal about using this with a class to really collect some data.  I hope I can get a good response since this is the direction I need to go with it.

I also wrote an article yesterday and finished it today that will be published in the community newsletter.  I wonder if I'll need to present my findings to the community formally, maybe at a School Board meeting.  Either way, I've had nothing but positive conversations with people as I'm out and about regarding the device.

Had a nice email and compliment from one of my former students regarding the blog.  It reminds him of Creative Writing class.  How nice!  I've always had a passion for writing and now I get to be the person featured in a lot of the Science Fiction I've read; the one with the computer on his head.

No comments:

Post a Comment