Thursday, March 6, 2014

Glass All Day

For the first time, I started my day with Glass.  Many reviews I've read comment on a self-conscious feeling when walking out into the world with Glass for the first time.  Didn't have it.  Maybe it's just me.

So, here's my thoughts:

Still a very high cool factor.  I don't know if or when that will wear off.

Extremely easy to get used to.  I don't feel as though the eyepiece is in the way and the screen is easy to use and see.

I don't wear it at my desk.  I have a laptop and desktop available and they work much better for all I do than Glass.

Out and about it's safer walking and using than my iPhone.

Kids and staff are fine with pics and video.  I think it's such a part of their culture it doesn't phase them.

Overall, I'm conflicted in my opinion.  I don't use Facebook much and I'm not the type of person to share everything going on all the time.  So, in my person life, Glass would not be used like it can or should.  Maybe if it truly was integrated into my glasses (went back to contacts for this experiment) i would use it more.  Right now it's an additional device.

I talked to a Google glass rep on the phone and asked some questions about it.  From what he said there's no problem resetting to factory and letting people borrow it for a test.  Actually it sounded like Google encourages it.  This is great news for my research in education.  I keep reading that there's an 18+ rule for being an explorer.  This kind of puts a damper on students trying it out unless maybe it's my own kids.  We'll have to see.

Lastly, I used video for the first time with Glass.  Works great and seamlessly.  This is probably my favorite part of the device.  This is a great reflection tool and playback is wonderful.  The pics and video automatically become available on Google +.  I use screenshot on the iPad to capture and send via email.  There's probably a better way, but this works for now.

My wife hates talking to me when I call her from Glass.  People in the grocery store didn't notice or ask until I checked out.  Polite curiosity, good conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment