Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Tuesdays with More - eh?

Today I looked at my habits with Glass.  I know it's only been a week, but I find myself in a pattern of use.  When I walk around, I put Glass on and take it with me.  It's more of the possibility of what I can do with it and less of the paranoia of leaving it lying on my desk in a relatively un-secure office.

I used the camera to document a damaged Chromebook I was fixing.


Somehow the hinge completely pulled out of the plastic while a student was opening it.  Adult witnesses confirm there was nothing malicious or improper about how it was opened; the thing just fell apart.  I created a Franken-book out of pieces of other broken devices and it's in good working condition.

As I wandered about during my morning I also had a chance to stop by a couple of classrooms and show the students how Glass worked.  They're definitely interested and enthused.  In the middle school students are wowed at the cool factor.  The kindergarten class I met in the hall were mostly dumbfounded and speechless; trying to wrap their heads around what exactly it was.  The enthusiasm of their teacher was rewarding and I treated them to a class picture sent from Glass to Hangouts.

Back to habits.  I don't wear Glass when I'm at my desk (the Chromebook pic was a special occasion).  I don't think the battery has enough juice to make it through a day (maybe not even half a day) listening to music in the background, accessing information and taking pictures.  When I sit to work at the computer I set it on the desk and plug it in USB to the Mac.  

I also had a couple of good discussions with teachers interested in what it is and how it works, including a group at a meeting that were eager to try it on.  The $1500 price tag shocks most adult, kids either don't comprehend how much or are disinterested in the value.

I figured out Twitter on it although I have yet to send a tweet from it.  I did respond to a couple of email from Glass and found it convenient and mostly accurate with voice recognition.

No comments:

Post a Comment