Sunday, March 9, 2014

Bring Spring!

Today was a transition day for me.  I fully intended on getting the snowshoes out and trekking out into the middle of the lake to try some fishing.  I thought this would be a great use for Glass.

The minnows I bought yesterday and left in the truck in an insulated bucket had an impenetrable layer of ice over them.  They're sitting in my driveway awaiting a slow cold death.  So, I went to the carwash and washed the truck instead.

I also went to Shopko.  I still don't notice if anyone notices me.  Then again, I pretty much tower over most people and wonder sometimes if they don't know me if they're afraid to approach me.  Maybe if I smile more.

Onto Glasstastic experiences (I think I should coin this term).  After spending entirely too much time sitting around waiting to do something, my youngest decided she wanted to ski.  Keep in mind that on Friday she fell and broke her arm and is wearing a temporary splint.  I loaded the skis in my now clean truck and we headed to the Three Eagle Trail.  What a beautiful day!


It's hard to be inconspicuous when you say "OK Glass" around an 8 year old who is fascinated with Glass and convinced she will have and use them some day soon.  Any "candid" shot I have of her so far is staged.  I turned on the winking feature for taking a picture and got one every time I blinked.  I also tried to capture video of two eagles being dive-bombed by a crow, but I said "take" instead of "record" and ended up racing through everyone in my Google+ account for a video message.  Note to self, be clear when I speak.

In the truest sense of an explorer, I set out to try something new in the afternoon.


I only fell once.  As I understand and will find out soon, there's an app for Glass that will track my biking.  I will certainly install this and try it out.




I like the 10 second video feature.  Allows hand-free video capability at a moments notice.

Which brings me to today's analysis.  I've been looking at this critically since I first put Glass on.  I question if there's other technology, cheaper that can do the same thing; sometimes better.  After spending a weekend with Glass I can see the appeal.  Everything I want it to do it will do conveniently.  I didn't have to pack a phone and camera and video camera with me.  I didn't need to dig through five layers and pull out a phone that's in a bullet-proof case (Otterbox Armor) and smash it against my head so I could hear the other person.  I didn't have to stop what I was doing, prepare a device, hope it was charged . . . 

It was seamless.  I guess maybe that's the point.  Seamless integration of technology into human society to assist without restricting.  Sounds like the title to a paper in Science magazine.

Oh, and my 8 year old has now taken to "Glass Bombing" me when she sees the prism light up.  I have many pictures of her posing after shouting "OK Glass, take a picture."  I'd be angry if it wasn't so clever.


No comments:

Post a Comment